Monday, October 10, 2011

I heard the news today oh boy.......


I received the phone call today, the kind of call you dread getting in the middle of the night. When I looked at the caller ID, I saw that the call was from an old friend of mine, Tony Kozar. We hadn't talked in awhile so I thought he'd finally called to catch up, not exactly.

I answered the call with my usual greeting when he calls "Hey man, what's going on?" After a short pause he cleared his throat and just said "We lost Pat Galvin yesterday." As my hearing isn't what it used to be and I didn't want to hear what I thought I just heard, I asked 'Excuse me, what did you say?" "We lost Pat Galvin."

For most of you, you're going "OK, who's Pat Galvin?" Well, Pat Galvin was a good friend of mine. I hadn't seen much of Pat the last 15 years or so, but he was and is a friend. I met him over 30 years ago while attending Portland Community College. Tony Kozar was also attending at that time and him and I got to be pretty tight friends. Through "Kozar" I met a litany of people from Pat, who was lovingly referred to as "Fats," why, I don't quite know, he was never very fat to me, but maybe when they were kids. Kozar gave him this moniker. Most of Kozars friends had nicknames, mostly just their last name, but some guys were called "Goofy" and a myriad of names that I can no longer recall. Me? I was just Jimmy.

Anyway, over the better part of 30 years there were Raider games at Kozars, Rolling Stones concerts in Seattle, and trips to Seattle to see the Yankees play the Mariners. In addition to the Oakland Raiders, the Yankees were one of our favorite professional teams to root for. None of us liked teams from Seattle, so it was great fun to go up there, drink way too much and boo the Mariners. Kozar and the boys went up there yearly. I went a couple of times and it was always a great time.

Fats it always seemed was the only one who could say anything to Kozar that he would listen too. Me? I was too young and never felt like I could say anything that he would listen to, but when Fats spoke, Kozar listened. On one trip, after the game, we were driving around some portion of Seattle when we came across an A-Frame ad outside of some restaurant or something. Well we just had to have it of course, so into the back of 'Dalby's' van it went. Later, Kozar wanted to do something else reasonably stupid and Fats, said "no." Kozar insisted on whatever it was and Pat in a stern voice said something to the effect of "Fuck Kozar we already got a sign, fucking knock it off." Kozar got this hurt puppy look on his face, looked at me and said, "Fats yelled at me." I thought he was going to cry. I about shit myself trying not to laugh.

That's the way it kind of went for a long time. Pool party's at the Dalby's, concerts in town; blues parties at my house, we always all had a great time. But alas, things change, we get older, get married, have kids, drift apart, it happens. I moved to Central Oregon and I didn't see anybody as much. I'd always go to Portland to visit and we'd hook up, and it was always fun to see everyone again. But none of us could believe though how the time had flown. We all had met as 20 something’s and now we were 50 somethings.

Fats and his wife Nancy came to my first wedding and came to Central Oregon for my second, (and last) about four years ago. He had mentioned not feeling great that weekend, but nobody thought much of it. During a trip to Portland some time after that he mentioned some pain in his kidneys but didn't think much of that either. I talked to him last year and he informed me that he'd had Kidney Cancer and had one of them removed. He said it was an early stage and that he didn't follow-up with chemo or radiation, which I thought a bit odd at the time, but it was his cancer and not mine this time. That was the last time I talked too him.

It's brutally ironic I guess, that Al Davis, owner and general managing partner of the Raiders passed away on Saturday. The Raiders dedicated their game yesterday to Al. In a close game that will go down in Raider lore, the Raiders held on to win the game with a last play interception in the end zone, at about the same time that Pat Galvin drew his last, how fitting.

Pat had been feeling poorly the last year and got checked about six months ago. The doctors had found that the cancer had spread and that there was nothing they could do. He spent the last few weeks of his life in hospice and was comfortable at the end. I wish I had been able to talk to him. I wish I had picked up the phone the many times I wanted to, to see how things were going. I don't understand why friends can't put away differences and pick up the phone and let somebody know before somebody dies, that someone you care about is dying, fuck!

So Pat is gone. Gone like the others before him, and like the ones that are to follow. No one on this planet gets out of this predicament called life, without dying, it's just the way it is. That being said, I don't have to like it. I don't have to like that Pat suffered the fate of many other cancer sufferers in that he withered away before leaving us. I don't like that he's gone. I have faith that I will see him again someday, but I don't like the process we go through to see each other again. It's kind of funny that most of us want to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die to get there. Anybody find another way, I'm all ears.

Even though I hadn't seen Pat in a very long time, I will miss him. He was a good man, husband, father, and friend. Pat may be gone, but his impact on my life and the lives of his friends and family will live forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment