Monday, February 28, 2011

Who Says You Can't Go Home?

I've been asking myself that question for quite some time now. I knew there was an old adage somewhere that stated that you couldn't go home again, but I never knew quite why.

After some research I found that there was a book written in 1940 by Thomas Wolfe called "You Can't Go Home Again." So the story goes, it's about a writer who leaves home and writes a book about his experiences. When the residents of this mythical hometown read his book, they are displeased to find that he has shed their town in a rather unflattering light. Although the book is held in high regard throughout the county, the hometown folks are sending this guy death threats.

The story like many today, explores the changing of our country from the great economic collapse, how our perspectives change with time, how our hometown looks from a distance, and how difficult it is to "go back."

For whatever reason a person leaves their hometown, there is a feeling that you can't go back. The idea of going back to the place you left behind somehow makes you some kind of failure. I don't understand that. Why you left may not have had anything to do with going somewhere to be a success and leaving everyone behind. It may have just been time for a change.

In my case, I left my hometown of Portland, Oregon back in the 80's when the economy was horrible and it was time for me to leave home. I hopped a plane to San Diego, saying goodbye to my friends, family, persistent rain, and economic doom.

Things weren't that much better in San Diego, but I had a friend their I could room with, and it was sunny and warm. The change of scenery was much needed in many ways. I at least found a job and could afford my crutch of cold Corona's and nachos at LaHaina.

The entire time I was their, about two years, I always longed to go "back home." I don't know why, but I knew that while my time in San Diego was going to be a good time, and that it was a great city, I knew too that it wasn't going to last. Two years and a lot of good times later I boarded a plane and went back home, a changed man, ready to go back.

The second time was about 13 years ago when my ex-wife and I tired of the weather and longed for an area we fell in love with called Central Oregon. We made the move and here I still am.

Even though I love it here, it hasn't been without it's heartaches and pain. The economy in this area is a struggle during good times. Right now it's as bad as it's ever been. The whole state is bad, so moving isn't much of an option, but the longing for 'home' grows strong at times like these.

One thing I know to be true, and that is you can take the boy out of his home, but you can't take home out of the boy. Will I go back? I don't know. I have a little girl to get through school and then we'll decide. Home will always be there so there is no need to make a decision now.

Still, the question won't go away, and the beat goes on......

No comments:

Post a Comment